Now hiring for 2017
2017 Part time Equipment Operator
Position runs Tuesday, May 2nd – Thursday, October 26th with possibility to continue into November. 20 hours per week. Schedule will be 7am – 5pm Tuesday and Thursday of each week.
Candidates must have at least 1 full season of tractor operation experience on a commercial vegetable farm. Additionally qualified candidates should be familiar with mechanical cultivation as well as hooking up and unhooking 3 point hitch implements.
Please send Resume detailing equipment experience to Rob Lynch. Candidates without a resume will not be considered for the position.
Responsibilities to include :
- Equipment Operation
- Working closely with farm managers to ensure all equipment work is being performed in a timely manner
- Operation of high clearance Kubota M9000, Allis Chalmers G, and if needed Case 265 or New Holland TS6030. Performing whatever tractor tasks are called for in a given day.
- Main tractor responsibilities will include cultivation, secondary tillage, and mowing. May also include transplanting and harvest
- Keeping a close eye on how equipment is running and performing general maintenance tasks as needed.
- Reporting any equipment issues to farm managers as they arise.
- Routine maintenance of implements (i.e. greasing etc)
- General repair of minor implement issues
- General repair of minor tractor issues
- Equipment Repair
In addition to these specific responsibilities there may be days or times where tractor operation is not necessary or possible. In this case there are a number of equipment related and non-related farm tasks that will be part of the position including
- Buildings and Grounds (weed wacking and mowing around farm buildings and implements)
- General repair of minor building issues
- Farm carpentry and/or minor building projects
- Equipment staging and transport to and from fields or repair shop
- Hourly pay is commensurate with experience
- Paychecks issued bi-weekly with taxes deducted
- Employee will be covered by worker’s compensation insurance and listed as additional insured on the farm’s vehicle insurance policy
- Vegetables from the farm for personal use are included as part of compensation
2017 Full Time Field Positions (2 Positions Open) 45-65 hrs/week
Runs May – Nov 21st with possibility to continue into December
We strongly prefer applicants with prior farm experience.
The people in these positions will fill out our core staff. This is a full-time position. Hours vary with the season but are generally between 45-65 hours per week. (5 and ½ day schedule Mon. - Fri. 1/2 day Sat on a rotational basis). While this is not an apprenticeship you can expect to learn a lot about running a diversified organic vegetable farm. This is a very physically demanding job. Employees in this position will be exposed to and be responsible for carrying out work in all aspects of our farm operation including but not limited to transplant production, transplanting by hand and machine, hoeing, hand weeding, managing row cover, harvesting, washing and packing produce, operating farm vehicles. Pay starts at $11/hr. 1 week paid vacation included in compensation.
On farm housing is not available but there are ample rental possibilities in the surrounding area. Situated in the Connecticut River Valley, the farm is 10 minutes from Amherst, MA and 20 minutes from Northampton, MA. Nature and nightlife are close by. We are lucky enough to be growing on some of the best vegetable soil in the country. Come farm with us.